Our weeks can get busy with to-do’s or seem repetitive thanks to your daily commute to work. Hobbies are a great way to break up the mundane in your schedule and give you something to look forward to in your calendar.
Discovering a hobby that you love is a great way to incorporate some self-care and recharge into your lifestyle. Finding time for self-care is so crucial. It helps you avoid burnout, level out your stress and help you be a better self for loved ones and friends. Finding a hobby as your go-to may take a little bit of trial and error, but once you find the right one, you will be so glad that you did!
Here are some ways to help you find the perfect hobby for you and your lifestyle!
- Be smart about your time commitment. If you are one to use “I don’t have enough time” as a daily excuse not to do something fun or exciting, you need to set yourself up for success when it comes to picking your hobby. Making bracelets or trying out a new recipe are some good ideas — not bird watching in the forest for five hours. You get the idea! Think about your schedule and what you can fit in weekly. If it is a big project such as knitting a large blanket, no worries, go into in knowing that you will need to break up the time you spend completing it.
- Invite a friend to join you. Find a local class that is a few weeks, months, etc. in advance and invite a friend! Having a community incorporated into your hobby can be a great way to build relationships while also maintaining your need for self-care. I recently went to a Paint the Town event with some friends and absolutely loved it! I also had a wonderful time with friends and got to experience something new and fun.
- Adopt a hobby that is useful to you. Hobbies can be a great way to refine a skill or incorporate a new one into your lifestyle. If you want to spruce up your yard for spring, gardening can be a great hobby to adopt. Think of areas of your life that you want to grow and see if a hobby can be a solution!
- Try out a kit. Gathering supplies and going to multiple stores can be a hassle for your schedule and budget, so consider investing in a kit for your latest hobby. Kits for candle making and knitting are some of my favorites. They can also make great gifts as well. Win, win!
- Learn from the best. Check out tutorial online or buy a book on your favorite topic to get started. There are also plenty of free resources online such as through Pinterest that can help inspire you and your hobby search. You can discover a new recipe and learn step by step from some of the greats through a YouTube video! There is so much out there to check out through the internet, and it can get a little overwhelming, so stick to a few hobby ideas at first. Don’t go too deep down the wormhole of a Google search!
These are great places to get started! If you invest some time into one hobby idea and don’t end up loving it, don’t worry! There are plenty to choose from. Consider brainstorming 2-3 at first before you dig in. Have fun!