You may have heard about the typical way of goal-setting, resolutions, and planning. A popular way of doing some “intention-setting” is by creating a vision board. Maybe you’ve heard of vision boards, or maybe you haven’t. A vision board is a visual representation of your goals. These can be professional, personal, spiritual, and creative goals all compiled into one poster-like “board” so that you can feel connected to and inspired by your goals through the imagery. Let’s break down how you can get your own vision board making minus some of the “woo” typically associated with setting intentions. No crystals or burning sage necessary for this project but here's a lovely picture of some candles!
The Digital Vision Board For The Type-A People
If you are looking for a quick way to create your vision board, then using a design program like Canva might be your best bet. Canva is a graphic design platform that's FREE to open an account and super easy to use. Many people like to save pins on Pinterest that represent a goal they have. Sometimes those images are of a place that you want to vacation, a skill that you want to learn, a quote that you want to live by, an item that you want to save up for, and so on. The sky, and your creativity, are the limit.
To create a vision board in Canva:
- Save your images on Pinterest, and then download those images to a folder on your computer or to your phone if you want to tackle the project mobile. It’s best to try and keep these images in one place for easy and quick access when it comes time to upload them to Canva.
- Open the Canva app, and then choose a large blank option. You can opt for vertical or horizontal depending on what you’re going for. Many people like to print out their digital vision board and hang it up in a space where they seek inspiration. Or you can always make it the background of your phone or computer so it’s always on your mind.
- Create a vision board folder within Canva and then upload your photos into the folder for easy access within the app.
- Start to create the layout. You can use a grid layout option found in Elements then Grid. You can choose how many images you want. You can arrange text within it, or create a placeholder for your word or main intention for the year.
- Get creating! You’ve got the layout, the images, and the inspiration. Now you can start organizing your photos, colors, and text on your vision board.
A digital vision board is a great option for those that like clean lines, simplicity, and less mess. The great thing about a digital vision board is that you can change it as the inspiration arises and as goals shift. That’s not quite as easy to do with the traditional method that we will go into next.
The Traditional Vision Board
The vision boards of yore (just kidding, they’re still super popular) are made using tangible objects like poster board, paper, magazines, scissors, and glue. This option is great when you are creating vision boards with a group of people. Everyone gathers around with piles of magazines and their materials, and then they get to cutting, chatting, dreaming out loud and in their thoughts. These vision boards can feel inspiring because of the effort put into them, as well as the surprises that come up along the way, like finding a quote or a word in a magazine that you wouldn’t have considered, but love.
The steps to creating a traditional vision board are:
- Gather your materials. You don’t have to do this in a group. You’ll need magazines, poster board of some variation, scissors, tape or glue, and any other materials you want to add (glitter is always fun).
- Start the search. Instead of pinning images, you are cutting them out of the magazines as you find them. Utilize a real-life folder here to keep track of your images and text.
- After you’ve gathered the images that you want, you can start laying them out on the poster board. You can do the layout as you go, if you want, but there’s a chance you might lose some of the pieces depending on how organized you are because there will be clippings all over the place.
- As you start to layout your design, you’ll clearly see where there are gaps, where you want white space, where you want images, and where you want words. Once you have the design complete, you can start glueing or taping things down, depending on your preferences.
And that’s it! Once you’ve created your traditional vision board, you can hang it up where ever you like or create it directly in your Ponderlily planner, we made space for that! Magazine clipping vision boards are a little less versatile on tweaks, but you can always glue over old images if you want to change things up.
Where To Place Your Vision Board
There are plenty of places were you can store your vision board for easy visual access and inspiration. Maybe you’ve created a massive poster board that would be lovely housed over your desk or in your office. What we’ve found as the best way to stay inspired, and also on track to actually meet your goals, is by keeping your vision board inside your daily planner. This encourages you to stay consistent with using your planner, while also offering motivation to open it up and start tracking your time, goals, and successes.
For a planner that can meet all of your needs of housing your dreams and helping you achieve them, you can find eco-friendly (from cover-to-cover) planners right here at Ponderlily. These thoughtfully designed planners offer style in the form of thick recycled paper and cloth covers, and sustainability with mindful manufacturing practices, while bringing you monthly check-ins towards meeting your goals. Ponderlily planners are printed using soy-based ink and recyclable paper (as well as eco-friendly packaging). There is space in each planner to write out your intentions, to-do lists, and notes, while also reminding you to recharge. You’ll find a pocket in the back cover to store your keepsakes, or maybe even your vision board.
Our wall calendars are also a great resource for visualizing your goals and sticking to it! See all of your items from a “bird’s eye” view and keep on top of it all. Check out more about the product here!
Creating a vision board allows for laser-sharp focus because you can see exactly what it is that you want to achieve. It’s one thing to have the thoughts and goals in our mind, and another to see a tangible object or image in front of you to keep you inspired. Vision boarding is a great way to get the creative juices flowing and help you on your way to meeting all of your goals for the new year.